I saw the geneticist today to get my results from the test for the BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene. Because my mood has been so shady, today’s appointment was the second one — I skipped the first one last week and I nearly skipped this one. Fear of financial retribution from my insurance company (meaning, I was worried that they would charge me a fee for continuing to miss appointments) was the ultimate motivator to go to the hospital.
I received a letter the other day from my insurance company. They denied payment for the genetic testing for the breast cancer gene. I was disappointed but only slightly. My disappointment was slight because the one decision that I finally made was to tell my surgeon that it didn’t matter whether I had the breast cancer gene or not, I did not want to have a prophylactic mastectomy.
Making that choice to keep my breast was a hard one.